What is TikTok App?
TikTok is a popular short-video app that has been downloaded more than 2 billion times on the Google Play Store and Apple’s App Store.
This social media app, which has caused controversy in many markets such as India and USA due to national security concerns since the first day of its launch, first appeared as Douyin in Mainland China in 2016. A year later, in 2017, Chinese developer ByteDance acquired Musically for $1 billion and merged it into TikTok.
So, what is TikTok app used for?
TikTok offers users hundreds of effects and filters to create their short videos up to 60 seconds. Users are able to add sound clips from the apps’ vast music library to the background of their videos and share their TikToks with millions of other users in the app.
TikTok shows the most liked and engaging videos on its homepage to other users, which made it possible for the app to become quite popular and for many users to step into the world of influencer marketing gaining millions of followers in a very short time.
It’s wide user base also attracted the attention of businesses very quickly. Now, many global brands and SMEs include TikTok in their social media marketing strategies and promote their products and services using the various advertising opportunities offered by the platform.
|Headquarter||Los Angeles, California|
|Global Offices||LA, NY, London, Paris, Berlin, Tokyo, Seoul, Singapore, Dubai, Mumbai, Jakarta|
|Platforms||Mobile, PC, Tablets|
|Number of Employees||5200+|
|Founded Date||2016 (Douyin), 2017 (TikTok)|
|Crunchbase Profile||Profile Link|
|Google Play||App Store Link|
|App Store||App Store Link|
Now, let’s take a look at the latest Tiktok statistics for 2020.
TikTok User & Usage Stats (2021)
- As of March 2021, 50.6 percent of Android TikTok app owners in the United States accessed the video sharing app on a daily basis. According to App Ape, 77.1% of U.S. TikTok audiences were monthly active users of the app. (Statista)
- According to recent industry data, Peru was the fastest-growing iOS TikTok market, as February 2021 downloads of the video sharing app increased more than 120.4 percent compared to previous month. During this period, TikTok generated 52.9 thousand downloads via the Apple App Store in Peru. The global number of monthly iOS TikTok downloads amounted to 11.4 million. (Statista)
- Poland was the fastest-growing TikTok market based on downloads with Google Play, as February 2021 downloads of the video sharing app in the country increased 88.6 percent compared to the previous month. Polish Android users downloaded TikTok a total of almost 434 thousand times during the measured period. (Statista)
- The mobile app of TikTok has been downloaded over 2 million times on the major app markets. It also broke a new record by getting 315 million app installs and became the most downloaded app in the first quarter of 2020. (Show More)
- It is the six largest social network in the world with more than 800 million monthly active users. (Hootsuite)
- Douying, the Chinese version of TikTok, has 400 million daily active users in Mainland China. (TechCrunch)
- Chinese users account for 80% of the total amount of time spent in the short video app. (AppAnnie)
- It is available in more than 150 countries around the world. (TikTok)
- It supports 39 languages. (TikTok)
- It is estimated that TikTok currently has 85 million active users in the USA. (Wallaroo)
- Brazil accounts for the 10.4% (104.7 million) of the total TikTok installs, as of January 2020. (Statista)
- More than half of all TikTok users are aged between 18-24 years old. (Adage)
- 40 most popular TikTok influencers have at least 10 million followers. (Business Insider)
- As of May 2020, Charli d’Amelio was the most popular TikToker on the platform with over 59.2 million followers. (Statista)
- 68 billion hours spent in TikTok in 2019. (AppAnnie) It is now estimated to be much higher than the previous year due to the Coronavirus lockdowns.
- Everyday, users spend an average of 52 minutes on the app.
- Users view 1 million videos every day. (2019 – Statista)
What is the most liked video on TikTok? (2020)
The most liked video on TikTok 2020 is a dance video by @justmaiko featuring a cute kid. The video received more than 25.4 million likes and 118.5K comments.
its official: we are the CEO’s of this sound🤷♂️🔥 @itsjonathansworld♬ AhiChallenge – elrodcontreras
TikTok Revenue Statistics (2021)
- TikTok generated nearly 1.84 million U.S. dollars in app revenues in Saudi Arabia via Google Play in February 2021. Saudi Arabia accounted for 24 percent of TikTok’s revenues throughout the Google Play store during the measured period. (Statista)
- ByteDance aims to handle more than $185 billion of e-commerce annually by 2022, building on the reach of social media wunderkinds TikTok and Douyin. (Bloomberg)
- Investors of ByteDance value TikTok at $50 billion. (Reuters)
- TikTok generated nearly 2.1 million U.S. dollars in U.S. app revenues from iOS in February 2021. The United States accounted for 44 percent of TikTok’s revenues throughout the Apple App Store. (Statista)
- ByteDance reported a $5.6 billion increase in its revenue in the first quarter of 2020. (Business Insider)
- In February 2020, TikTok’s lifetime user spending reached $300 million. (Statista)
- TikTok generated $78 million from in-app purchases in April 2020. (Show More)
- Its U.S. revenues expected to reach 500 million in 2020. (The Information)
- It grossed $177 million last year, 5 times more than it had in 2018. (Sensor Tower)
- In 2019, China was TikTok’s biggest revenue source with $122.9 million coming from iOS users. During the same time period, U.S. users spent $36 million and UK users spent $4.2 million. ( Sensor Tower)