Tech giant Apple announced the best App Store apps and games of 2020 selected by Apple editors based on factors such as high quality, creative design, usability, use of innovative technology and more. The announcement comes just after Google Play Store announced the best Android apps and games of 2020.
”This year, more than ever before, some of our most creative and connected moments happened in apps. This was thanks to the amazing work of developers who introduced fresh, helpful app experiences throughout the year,”said Phil Schiller, Apple Fellow. ”Around the world, we saw remarkable efforts from so many developers, and these Best of 2020 winners are 15 outstanding examples of that innovation. From helping us stay fit and mindful, to keeping our children’s education on track, to helping fight hunger, their impact was meaningful to so many of us.”
Best App Store Apps of 2020
Here are the best App Store apps of 2020 selected by Apple editors:
- iPhone App of the Year: Wakeout!, exercising app developed by Andres Canella.
- iPad App of the Year: Zoom
- Mac App of the Year: Fantastical, calendar and tasks app developed by Flexibits
- Apple TV App of the Year: Disney+
- Apple Watch App of the Year: Endel
Best App Store Games of 2020
And here are the best App Store games of 2020 curated by Apple editors:
- iPhone Game of the Year: Genshin Impact from MiHoYo. It is also the winner of the 2020 best Android game award.
- iPad Game of the Year: Legends of Runeterra from Riot Games
- Mac Game of the Year: Disco Elysium from ZA/UM
- Apple TV Game of the Year: Dandara Trials of Fear from Raw Fury
- Apple Arcade Game of the Year: Sneaky Sasquatch from RAC7
App Trends of 2020
”Apps are a reflection of culture, and in 2020, developers overwhelmingly led a trend towards helpfulness.” said Apple and picked 5 more apps to reflect these app trends including Shine ”for helping users practise self care”, Caribu ”for connecting families to loved ones”, Pokemon Go ”for reinventing the way we play”, ShareTheMeal ”for helping users make a difference” and Explain Everything Whiteboard ”for helping bring remote classrooms to life”.
These 15 winners will receive Apple’s first-ever App Store Best of 2020 award featuring the signature blue App Store icon set into 100 percent recycled aluminum, with the winner’s name written on the other side.
Most Downloaded App Store Apps & Games of 2020
In addition to the apps above selected by Apple editors, the company also announced the most downloaded App Store apps and games of this year.
Most Downloaded Apps
Top Free Charts
- ZOOM Cloud Meetings
- Cash App
Top Paid Charts
- Procreate Pocket
- Dark Sky Weather
- AutoSleep Track Sleep
- The Wonder Weeks
- Sky Guide
Most Downloaded Games
Top Free Charts
- Among Us!
- Call of Duty: Mobile
- Subway Surfers
- Ink Inc. – Tattoo Drawing
- Magic Tiles 3: Piano Game
- Brain Test: Tricky Puzzles
- Brain Out
- Coin Master
- Cube Surfer!
Top Paid Charts
- Plague Inc.
- Heads Up!
- Bloons TD6
- Geometry Dash
- NBA 2K20
- Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
- The Game of Life
- True Skate