Roblox is an online game platform allowing users to build games and play games builded by others.
The beta version of Roblox was created in 2004 as DynaBlocks by the founders of the game, David Baszucki and Erik Cassel. In 2005, the name of the game was changed to Roblox. The full version of the game was released on September 1, 2006 with its new name.
In March 2007, it became compliant with COPPA with a change that allowed users under the age of thirteen to communicate by selecting predefined messages via a menu. In August of the same year, Roblox server developments were made and the paid membership service called “Builders Club” was opened. In September 2019, this paid membership was renamed “Roblox Premium”.
On October 1, 2013, Roblox released its “Developer Exchange” program, which allows developers to convert Robux, the virtual currency earned from their games, into real world currencies.
On May 31, 2015, a feature called ‘Smooth Terrain’ was added that enhances the graphic details of the game surface and transforms the physics engine from a block-focused style to a smoother and more realistic style.
It was also released for Xbox One on November 20, 2015.
Roblox VR for Oculus Rift was released in April 2016, featuring over 10 million Roblox games. At the same time, in June, the game released its standalone application compatible with Windows 10, as well as the web version it has been using since 2004.
Founders: David Baszucki, Erik Cassel
Founded Date: 2004
Headquarter: San Mateo, California
Number of Employees: 2500+
Crunchbase Profile: Profile Link
Roblox Player Stats (2021)
- From its launch to October 2020, Roblox accumulated up to 437 million downloads on mobile, with nearly 129 million of those, or about 30%, generated in 2020. (SensorTower)
- The United States accounted for the 114 million of Roblox downloads, or 26% of total downloads, ranked #1 for installs, followed by Brazil with close to 48 million and Russia with nearly 24 million downloads.
- As of October 2020, Google Play accounted for 75% of total downloads with 328 million installs, while the App Store accounted for 109 million installs, or 25%.
- Roblox announced in July that over half of U.S. kids and teens under 16 play Roblox.
- Roblox was the third most downloaded mobile game on the Apple App Store in 2020. (Mobile Marketing Reads)
- On December 2, China’s National Press and Publication Administration approved Roblox to secure a license to launch its game platform in China, on both mobile and PC.
- As of July 2020, Roblox reached over 150 million monthly active users. (Roblox Corp.)
|Monthly Active Users|
|2020||150 Million (as of July 2020)|
|2019||100 Million (as of August 2019)|
|2017||48 Million (as of March 2017)|
|2012||7 Million (as of January 2012)|
- Roblox reports 3 billion total engagement hours each month.
- As of February 2020, players spend 1.5 billion hours per month on Roblox. (Techcrunch)
- Since 2008, 37 billion hour played in Roblox.
Roblox Revenue Stats (2021)
- Roblox went public on March 10 and it closed its first day of trading at $69.50 a share, rising from a reference price of $45 that was set on Tuesday. That valued Roblox at $45 billion, up from $4 billion just over a year ago. The company went public in a direct listing in which no new shares were issued. (The New York Times)
- Roblox has raised $520 million in new Series H funding at a purchase price of $45.00 per share led by Altimeter Capital and Dragoneer Investment Group at a $29.5 billion valuation in January 2021.
- In October 2020, Roblox surpassed $2 billion in player spending.
Player spending on Roblox worldwide from September 2019 to September 2020 (Statista)
- Roblox Annual Revenue Worldwide