What is Duolingo?
According to Google, searches for apps related to learning a language have grown 85% year over year. The people in quarantine who want to develop new skills have started to have a tendency towards popular language learning apps.
Duolingo is one of those most popular language learning platforms that offers personalized education to users who want to learn a language. Supporting more than 35 languages including both endangered and the most speaking languages.
Duolingo’s language content is mostly created by language learning scientists, machine learning engineers, and AI experts.
The language learning app offers Duolingo users different kinds of content including quizzes, podcasts, in-person events, and interactive stories. Duolingo app supports reading, listening, and writing at the same time to let users build grammar, speaking, and vocabulary skills.
What is Duolingo Plus?
Duolingo is a free to use and free to download app. Duolingo Plus is Duolingo’s paid subscription package that enables users to
- Avoid in-app ads
- Download lessons to continue learning offline
- Have unlimited access with unlimited hearts
- Unlock monthly streak repair
- Track their progress with mastery quizzes
- Have unlimited skill test-outs
Duolingo Plus costs $9.99 per month with a discount if you pay for yearly subscription ($79.99)
What languages does Duolingo offer?As of October 2020, English speaking Duolingo users are offered the following language courses:
|Spanish (28.3M learners)||Dutch (1.50M learners)||Indonesian (483K learners)|
|French (16.2M learners)||Latin (1.43M learners)||Scottish Gaelic (476K learners)|
|German (8.83M learners)||Swedish (1.26M learners)||Welsh (458K learners)|
|Japanese (8.07M learners)||Greek (1.08M learners)||Romanian (452K learners)|
|Italian (6.02M learners)||Irish (1.05M learners)||Czech (423K learners)|
|Korean (4.90M learners)||Polish (940K learners)||Swahili (384K learners)|
|Chinese (4.44M learners)||Norwegian (916K learners)||Hungarian (318K learners)|
|Russian (3.71M learners)||Hebrew (873K learners)||Ukrainian (302K learners)|
|Hindi (2.73M learners)||Vietnamese (624K learners)||Klingon (297K learners)|
|Arabic (2.69M learners)||Hawaaiian (602K learners)||Esperanto (288K learners)|
|Portuguese (2.45M learners)||Danish (530K learners)||Navajo (285K learners)|
|Turkish (1.93M learners)||High Valyrian (521K learners)||Finnish (263K learners)|
Duolingo Usage & Download Statistics (2020)
- In 2020, Duolingo has reached 42 million monthly active users, up from 30 million in December 2019. (Techcrunch)
- As of September 2020, Spanish is the most popular language that is preferred by 28.3 million Duolingo users.
- Each month, approximately 7 billion Duolingo exercises are completed. (Duolingo)
- An average Duolingo user spends 10 minutes per day in the app to learn a language. (Duolingo)
- In March 2020, Duolingo.com was the second most popular online education website with 55.6 million website visitors. (Statista)
- New sign-ups of Duolingo increased by 108% from March 9 to March 30, 2020. For the United States, the growth of sign ups was 148%. (Business Insider)
- There are more than 100,000 ‘Duolingo for Schools’ teacher accounts. (Duolingo)
- In February 2020, Duolingo was ranked #2 in the most popular education apps used by children in the United Kingdom, was used by 28%. (Statista)
- A person with no knowledge of Spanish would need to spend in Duolingo between 26 and 49 hours (or 34 hours on average) to cover the material for the first college semester of Spanish. (NY City University)
- In May 2020, Duolingo was ranked #3 worldwide in both App Store downloads and Google Play downloads. (Sensor Tower)
- Spanish is the most popular language course among the English speakers (28.3 million learners), followed by French with 16.2 million learners (Duolingo)