Pokémon GO Revenue and Usage Statistics (2020)

Pokémon GO is an augmented reality game designed for iOS and Android devices, developed by Niantic and published by The Pokémon Company in July 2016. With the Pokémon GO game, players can catch and train Pokémon in the real world with their smartphones, join battles and trade Pokémon.

The world-popular augmented reality game was a great success in its year of release and became the most successful mobile launch in history. In 2020, due to the coronavirus, Pokémon GO caught hype again and maintained its popularity by showing success over the year it was released.

Pokémon GO Events

  • Players caught almost one billion Pokémon in Pokémon GO’s two-day event Pokémon GO Fest 2020.
  • Due to coronavirus, Pokémon Go Fest 2020 took place online with millions of attendees from 124 countries and regions defeating over 58 million Team Rocket members. 
  • During the Pokémon GO Fest 2020 event, player spending surpassed $17.5 million, with $8.9 million on Saturday (July 25, 2020), and $8.6 million on Sunday.
  • During Pokémon GO Fest 2019 Chicago event, 60,000 players attended, trainers walked more than 290,000 kilometers and caught 15 million Pokémon. (PokémonGOLive)
  • During Pokémon GO Fest 2019 Dortmund event, 85,000 players attended, trainers walked more than 400,000 kilometers and caught 28 million Pokémon. (PokémonGOLive)
  • During Pokémon GO Fest 2019 Yokohama event, 150,000 trainers attended, trainers caught over 24 million Pokémon. (PokémonGOLive)
  • During Pokémon GO Safari Zone New Taipei City event, 327,000 trainers attended, trainers walked more than 4,500,000 kilometers and caught more than 50 million Pokémon.  (PokémonGOLive)

Pokémon GO Player Spending by Year

  • Niantic’s Pokémon GO game has generated close to $4.2 billion in player spending globally, according to Sensor Tower. $1 billion of this lifetime revenue was generated in 2020, making 2020 the best year of the game. The global player spending of Pokémon GO in the first ten month of 2020 increased by 11% as compared to the total player spending in 2019. 
  • Following the PUBG Mobile and Honor of Kings, Pokémon GO has ranked #3 in global player spending in 2020. 
  • In 2020, The United States has become the biggest market of Pokémon GO in player spending with $1.5 billion, followed by Japan with $1.3 billion. 
  • 53.4% of player spending has come from Google Play in 2020, while the App Store has accounted for the remaining 46.6 per cent. 
  • In the week beginning March 16, 2020, player spending on the Pokémon Go game recorded a peak of $23 million worldwide. (Statista)
YearPlayer Spending
2020$1 billion (as of November 2020)
2019$894 million (Sensor Tower)
2018$816 million (Sensor Tower)
2017$589 million (Sensor Tower)
2016$832 million (Statista)

Pokémon GO Downloads by Year

According to Sensor Tower, Pokémon GO has generated around 600 million unique downloads worldwide from its launch to November 2020. The cumulative download numbers below represent all downloads including re-downloads and unique ones. 

The Sensor Tower data states that The United States ranks #1 in number of downloads with 109 million installs, or 18.2% of the total, followed by Brazil with 65.2 million downloads, or close to 11%, and Mexico with 37.3 million, or 6.2%.

YearCumulative Downloads
April 20191 billion
May 2018800 million
July 2017750 million
September 2016500 million

Pokémon GO Lifetime Revenue 

DateLifetime Revenue
October 2020$4.2 billion 
October 2019$3 billion
September 2018$2 billion
January 2017$1 billion
September 2016$500 million

Written by Jordan Bevan

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Apple announces the best App Store apps and games of 2020

Genshin Impact generates nearly $400 million in first two months