What is Minecraft?
Minecraft is a sandbox game developed by Swedish developer Markus Alexej Persson, published by Mojang in 2011 and acquired by Microsoft in 2014. The sandbox video game was inspired by Dwarf Fortress, RollerCoaster Tycoon, Dungeon Keeper and Infiniminer games. It was programmed in one week and published on the TIGSource forums before the public release on May 16, 2009. It gained considerable popularity among players from this forum.
Minecraft allows you to build various designs with blocks in 3-dimensional voxel graphics. In the gameplay, you can also battle mobs, construct shelter, and explore the landscape. The game also provides multiplayer mode to build together and search together.
In this article, we will share the most up-to-date revenue and player statistics of Minecraft, which is the leader in the world’s most popular games.
Minecraft Revenue Statistics
Minecraft developer Mojang was acquired by Microsoft in 2014 for $2.5 million.
- As of August 2020, Minecraft on Xbox One has sold around 5.43 million copies worldwide, including 3.23 million in North America.
- The most profitable year of Minecraft on mobile was 2018, with more than $110 million, according to SensorTower.
|Year||Minecraft Revenue on Mobile|
- The estimated 2020 Minecraft revenue was $415 million.
|Year||Minecraft Annual Revenue|
- Minecraft sales topped 200 million with 126 million players playing the game monthly in as of May 2020.
Also read: The 12 Best Open World Games for Android
Minecraft Player Stats
- 76.46 million hours watched of Minecraft on Twitch worldwide in November 2020.
- In November 2020, Minecraft events on Twitch were watched by an average of 106.29 thousand viewers.
- In the last quarter of fiscal 2020, Minecraft reached 132 million monthly active users.
|Minecraft Monthly Active Users|