Following the release of iOS 14 that allows users to customize their home screens with various widgets on September 16, top 20 iOS home screen customization apps hit 5.7 million installs. They have generated $400,000 from customer spending during the four days following the iOS 14 release. Pinterest broke daily download record of 616,000 globally on September 21.
Today, Pinterest has launched a new widget for iOS 14 “to make it possible for Pinner to feature a board of their own or one they follow, and see daily inspiration right from their iPhone home screen.”
“With searches on the platform for topics like “indie ios 14 homescreen” (15x), “widget iPhone aesthetic” (19x), “Neon icons for apps” (14x) or “Black and white icons for apps” (14x)1 surging in the past few weeks, it was clear Pinners wanted Pinterest to be part of their iOS 14 home screen, and make use of the new customization features now available on their phones. So much of the content on Pinterest — from inspirational quotes to seasonal image and fashion ideas — are perfect matches for that wallpaper aesthetic. ” Pinterest said in a statement.
The widget is now available globally.
To add the new widget:
- Simply hold an area on your screen and tap the plus sign in the upper-left corner to choose from widgets.
- Select the widget’s size and add to your home screen.
- Select a board of yours or one you follow.
- The image on the widget will change on hourly or daily basis, depending on the Pinner’s preferences, with an option to add a small or large-sized widget (medium-size isn’t optimal for Pin length). Tapping the widget will direct to that Pin in the app.
- To move the widget, hold it and place it in the best spot.