What is Spotify?
Available on smartphones, PCs, tablets, speakers, TVs, and cars, Spotify is one of the most popular digital content platforms helping users to discover and instant access millions of music, podcasts, and video from a variety of artists and genres worldwide.
Spotify is a free of charge service where its users can register and start searching and listening to music and podcasts without any paid subscription. In Free Spotify, users can also create playlists, add songs to favorites, and get recommendations based on what they like.
What is Spotify Premium?
Spotify Premium is Spotify’s paid subscription where users are offered more than one plans according to their usage behavior and needs. In all Spotify Premium plans, users can download music to listen offline from anywhere, enjoy music and podcasts without ad interruptions, and hit unlimited skips.
Student Plan: $4.99 per month per account offering ad free music experience, offline listening, and on-demand playback
Individual Premium Plan: $9.99 per month per account with one month free offering ad-free listening, offline play, and on-demand playback
Spotify Duo Plan: $12.99 per month for 2 accounts with one month free, preferred by couples, offering Duo Mix, a playlist for two, regularly updated with music couples enjoy, ad free music listening, offline playing, and on-demand playback.
Family Plan: $14.99 per month for up to 6 accounts living under one roof, offering blocking music, ad-free experience, offline playing, on-demand playback, Spotify Kids for the kids under age 12, and Family Mix where the family can create a playlist regularly updated with music they love.
Spotify – Company Overview
|Headquarter||New York, USA|
|Platforms||Mobile, PC, TV, Tablets, Speakers, Cars|
|Number of Employees||7000+|
|Founders||Daniel Ek, Martin Lorentzon|
|Crunchbase Profile||Profile Link|
|Google Play||App Store Link|
|App Store||App Store Link|
Spotify User Stats (2020)
- Spotify haf 138 million premium subscribers at the end of the second quarter of 2020, up 27% year-on-year. (Spotify)
- Number of monthly active users (MAUs) is 299 million and ad-supported MAUs is 170 million as at June 30, 2020. The year-on-year growth of total MAU is 29%. (Spotify)
- There are 4+ billion playlists, 60+ million tracks, and 1.9+ million podcast titles available in Spotify as of June 2020. (Spotify)
- Spotify is available in 92 countries worldwide as of June 2020. (Spotify)
- Number of artists using Spotify for Artists tools on a monthly basis has grown to 690,000+, up 68% year-on-year. (Spotify)
- Spotify expects to reach a total MAUs of 328-348 million at the end of 2020. The estimated total number of premium subscribers for the end of 2020 is 146 to 153 million. (Spotify)
- The number of artists who make up the top 90% of streams has grown 43% year-over-year to 43,000+.
- Billie Eilish’s ‘My Future’ has been streamed 42+ million times on Spotify and the artist and Spotify created a website called ‘A Letter to Your Future Self’.
- 91,000+ creators (artists) have fundraised directly from fans.
- Ed Sheeran is the most followed artist on Spotify with 68+ million followers as of August 2020, followed by Ariana Grande with 49+ million.. (ChartMasters)
- Ed Sheeran’s ‘Shape of You’ is the decade’s most listened to song on Spotify with 2.5+ billion streams. (BBC)
- As of May 21, 2020, the most-streamed weekly track on Spotify worldwide is The Weekend’s ‘Blinding Lights’ with 37.69 million streams worldwide. (Spotify)
Spotify Revenue Statistics (2020)
- Since launch, Spotify paid €15+ billion revenue to its rightholders. (Spotify)
- Total revenue of Spotify grew 13% year-on-year to €1,889 million in the second quarter of 2020. Premium revenue grew 17% to €1,758 million at the same period. Ad-supported revenue fell 21% year-on-year because of COVID-19. (Spotify)
- Spotify announced a global, multi-year licencing agreement with Universal Music Group to secure the label’s catalog for streaming rights. (TechCrunch)
- For Spotify Premium, ARPU (average revenue per user) was down 9% year-on-year to €4.41 in the second quarter of 2020. (Spotify)
- Within the second quarter 2020, Spotify announced a $20 million podcast advertising partnership with Omnicom Media Group. (MediaPost)
- Premium Gross Margin was 28.1% in Q2 2020, down slightly from 28.3% in Q1. Ad-Supported Gross Margin was (11.9)% in Q2, down from (6.6)% in Q1. (Spotify)
- Expected total revenue for the end of 2020 is €2.05-€2.25 billion. (Spotify)