What is Byju’s?
Byju’s is an India-based edtech company founded in 2012 providing online learning programs for K3, K10, K12, NEET, JEE, UPSC & Bank Exams with personalized video lessons, tests, and one-on-one mentorship programs from experienced teachers.
Founded Date: 2012
Founder: Byju Raveendran
Google Play: Store Link
App Store: Store Link
Byju’s Revenue Statistics
- Byju’s announced on September 16 that it has acquired coding platform Tynker. The companies didn’t disclose the terms of the deal, but a person familiar with the matter told TechCrunch that the Indian firm is spending about $200 million on the acquisition.
- Byju’s announced on July 26 that was buying professional training and higher education platform Great Learning for $600 million.
- Byju’s announced on July 21 that it has acquired California-headquartered reading platform Epic, which has amassed more than 2 million teachers and 50 million kids, for $500 million.
- As of June 2021, Byju’s has become India’s most valued startup after raising $350 million at a $16.5 billion post-money valuation. (Techcrunch)
- In 2020, Byju’s revenue was more than $100 million. UBS executives said that Byju’s current revenue run rate, as of early 2021, is $800 million. It is expected for revenue run rate to reach $1 billion in the next 12-15 months.
- Byju’s valuation was $11.1 billion as of September 2020.
- Byju’s has become the first edtech startup to cross $2 billion in investments from as many as 17 rounds from 21 investors. (BusinessLine)
- Byju’s plans to generate $140 – 150 million in profit margin in this fiscal year.
- Byju’s doubled its revenue to around $370 million (₹2,800 crore) in the year ending March 2020. (Business Insider)
- Byju’s 2019 revenue for the financial year that ended in March 2019 was $188.8 million with a net profit of $2.8 million. (Techcrunch)
- Byju’s plans for an IPO in the next 24 to 36 months. (BusinessLine)
- Byju’s learning app reported a gross revenue of over 14 billion Indian rupees in financial year 2019, almost triple the revenue of the financial year 2018. (Statista)
Byju’s Usage Statistics
- As of early 2021, Byju’s surpassed 80 million users, 5.5 million of whom are paying subscribers.
- As of September 2020, Byju’s learning app added more than 25 million new students to its platform due to lockdown.
- As of September 2020, Byju’s learning app has a total of 70 million registered students and 4.5 million paid users. (BusinessLine)
- As of September 2020, Byju’s had more than 2 million downloads worldwide in Google Play. (Sensor Tower)
- As of May 2020, students, who used to spend 70 minutes on the app per session and come back twice-thrice a week, started to spend 100 minutes per day. (Business Insider)
- In 2019, the number of registered users was 40 million, while there were 2.8 million paying subscribers. (Techcrunch)
- 30% of Byju’s user base is coming from top 100 towns in India and 40% of its paid subscribers are from top 10 cities in India. (BusinessLine)