What is YouTube?
YouTube is an online video sharing platform that allows global users to watch, share and upload videos with the mission of freedom of speech and freedom of information. Used by billions of users worldwide, YouTube is one of the most popular music and video streaming platforms available in Google Play and App Store along with the Web.
What is YouTube Premium?
YouTube is a free video sharing platform where users can consume its content just by watching ads without a paid subscription. YouTube Premium (formerly known as YouTube Red) is YouTube’s paid subscription where users are allowed to listen and watch ad-free videos. It also enables users to consume the content “in the background” meaning users don’t have to keep the app open to listen to videos. YouTube Premium users can download the data for offline usage.
Users can also prefer the YouTube Music Premium package for downloading and listening music within the app without ad interruption. It is also allowed to play the music in the background while using other apps or when the screen is off.
For the parents, YouTube offers a YouTube Kids package where kids are provided with a more contained environment to explore YouTube.
There is also a family plan that allows adding up to 5 family members (ages 13+) with all premium package features.
What is a private video on YouTube?
A private video is an invite-only video where the video owner limits and controls who will watch the video. Video owners should share the URL with the invitees in order to let them watch the video. It is an option available to everyone under “Visibility” while uploading a video to decide if a video will be private or public. Private videos on Youtube are not displayed on the YouTube homepage and they are not listed in the search results.
YouTube – Company Overview
In 2006, Google acquired YouTube for $1.65 billion.
|Headquarter||San Francisco Bay Area|
|Number of Employees||5000+|
|Founders||Chad Hurley, Eric Skaggs, Martin Pauer, Steve Chen|
|Crunchbase Profile||Profile Link|
|Google Play||App Store Link|
|Apple App Store||App Store Link|
YouTube User & Usage Stats (2021)
- At the end of the second quarter of 2021, YouTube Shorts had surpassed 15 billion daily views, as compared to the 6.3 billion daily views in the previous quarter.
- At the end of YouTube Premium and YouTube TV saw impressive growth with more than $57 billion in revenue, up from around $35 billion Q2 2020.
- As of July 2021, with over 10 billion downloads, the YouTube app for Android has now become only the second app to surpass a whopping 10 billion downloads over on the Google Play Store. (9to5Google)
- As of March 2021, YouTube Shorts had 6.5 billion daily views, up from 3.5 billion at the end of 2020. (Variety)
- According to Alphabet, YouTube continues to boast more than 2 billion monthly logged-in users, who watch more than 1 billion hours of video daily.
- Each month, 2 billion people visit YouTube (Think with Google)
- YouTube Music app was downloaded 7.75 million times on Google Play in June 2020. It was the biggest second music and audio app worldwide. (Statista)
- YouTube Music app was downloaded 1.2+ million times on the App Store in June 2020. (Statista)
- Each visitor spends 11 minutes 24 seconds on average per day on YouTube. (Hootsuite)
- In June 2019, video game reviewer PewDiePie had annual earnings of $13 million from YouTube. The highest-earning YouTube star was Ryan Kaji with annual earnings of approximately $26 million as of June 2019. (Statista)
- 92.8% of video watchers in India are watching YouTube. (eMarketer)
- In June 2020, Blackpink, a South Korean girl band, broke a record for being the fastest viral music video with 86.3 million views within 24 hours. (Statista)
- In the first quarter of 2020, 6.1 million videos worldwide were removed from YouTube. 37% of videos were removed because of spam while 24.3% were removed due to child safety reasons. The United States was the number one country in terms of the number of video removals with 1.02 million removed videos, followed by India with 826+ thousands videos removed in the first quarter of 2020. (Statista)
- YouTube is localized in over 100 countries and 80 languages. (YouTube)
- More than 70% of YouTube watch time comes from mobile devices. (YouTube)
YouTube Channel Stats (2021)
- As of May 2021, T-Series had reached almost 155.27 billion lifetime video views, making the most viewed YouTube channel owner of all time. This was followed Cocomelon – Nursery Rhymes whose channel was viewed 102.41 billion times.
- The number of channels earning six figures per year on YouTube grew more than 40% year-over-year. (YouTube)
Who has the most subscribers on YouTube? (2021)
With more than 183 million subscribers, T-Series was the most popular YouTube channel as of May 2021. YouTube Movies follows it with 137 million subscribers. (Statista)
YouTube Revenue Statistics (2021)
- YouTube has surpassed $3 billion in lifetime customer spend worldwide as of October 17, 2021 – entirely driven by iOS. YouTube is also not only the #3 application overall by global app store consumer spend of all time, but also #1 live streaming app by spend (combined on iOS and Google Play as of October 10, 2021). (App Annie)
- In the second quarter of 2021, YouTube ad revenue reached $7 billion, up 84% from the same period last year.
- In the first quarter of 2021, YouTube ad revenue reached $6 billion, up 49% from the year-earlier period. (Alphabet)
- YouTube’s ad revenue was around $19.8 billion in the full year 2020, increased $4,623 million from 2019 to 2020. (Alphabet)
- According to Alphabet, In 2020, Google Search, Google Play, YouTube, and Google advertising tools helped provide $426 billion of economic activity for more than 2 million American businesses, nonprofits, publishers, creators, and developers.
- YouTube’s worldwide advertising revenue was $3.81 billion in the second quarter of 2020, up %5.8 year-over-year.
- Google “other revenues,” which includes its hardware, Play Store, and non-advertising YouTube revenues — reported $5.12 billion, up from $4 billion. (Verge)
YouTube Music vs Spotify (Stats)
- In May 2021, Spotify was the most-downloaded music and audio app in the Google Play Store worldwide, while YouTube Music ranked #4 with 5.03 million app installs.
- In January 2021, where YouTube Music generated 1.46 million app downloads, Spotify was the most-downloaded music app for iPhone in the Apple App Store worldwide with 4.3 million downloads.
What is the most viewed video on YouTube (2021)
As of February 2021, the most viewed video on Youtube is Baby Shark with 7.91 billion views. It is followed by “Despacito” by Luis Fonsi with 7.2 billion views.
What is the most disliked video on YouTube (2021)
YouTube Rewind 2018, one of YouTube’s own videos, is the most disliked video on YouTube with 19 million dislikes as of June 2021. ‘Sadak 2’ trailer is the second most disliked video on YouTube with 13 million dislikes.